Tuesday, December 28, 2010

32 books for my 32nd year

I'll be be turning 32 on Sunday.

Reading is something I love but am incredible lazy at. As a way to motivate slash intimidate myself to read more, I drew up a list of 32 books to read before I turn 33.

This list includes stuff I've had on the shelves for years, classics I've never read, things I've heard are good, highlights from Donald Barthleme's syllabus, books that just looked interesting when researching on Amazon.

It's all fiction. That's where I want to focus.

These are in no particular order, but updated with an order as soon as I finish them. The list is likely to change per my whim, and I'm very whimmy. Crossed out things mean I've finished them, blue ones mean I'm currently reading. (List started Nov 7, updated Nov 26)
  1. Amelia Gray - Museum of the Weird
  2. Linsay Hunter - Daddy's
  3. William Gass - Willie Masters' Lonesome Wife
  4. Leonard Michaels - Complete Stories
  5. Georges Perec - Life A User's Manual
  6. Thomas Pynchon - V
  7. Don DeLillo - White Noise
  8. William Faulkner - As I Lay Dying
  9. Stanley Elkin - The Magic Kingdom
  10. Gordon Lish - Collected Fictions
  11. Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
  12. William Gass - Omensetter's Luck
  13. Mary Robison - Tell Me
  14. Sherwood Anderson - Winesburg Ohio
  15. Donald Barthleme - 60 Stories
  16. John Hawkes - The Lime Twig
  17. Flannery O'Connor - A Good Man Is Hard to Find
  18. Nicole Kraus - Great House
  19. Borges - Labyrinths
  20. Franz Kafka - The Castle
  21. Italo Calvino - Invisible Cities
  22. Isaac Bashevis Singer - Gimpel the Fool
  23. Vladimir Nabokov - Pale Fire
  24. Mark Twain - Huckleberry Finn
  25. Brian Evenson - Fugue State
  26. Christine Schutt - Nightwork
  27. Barry Hannah - High Lonesome
  28. Barry Hannah - Bats Out of Hell
  29. Richard Yates - The Easter Parade
  30. Salvador Plascencia - The People of Paper
  31. Stanley Crawford - Gascoyne
  32. David Ohle - Motorman

No comments: