Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Radio: Russian thugs and believers

Too Much Information continues to be my favorite podcast.

There's a huge backlog of podcasts on my iPhone that I'm slowly getting through as I do my nightly walk. Listened to the August 23rd edition of TMI last night and it may have been my favorite yet.

In it, Benjamin Walker talks to photographers who have spent time in Russia photographing Siberian gangsters and Old Believers.


He also talks to a woman who runs the largest collection of Soviet-era Non-Conformist Art (read: politically and socially subversive, as well as just silly) art in the world.

And that's the the half hour. The second half is about Hilter and Walter Benjamin's The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction, & Chinese midgets talking about how his country runs MGM Studios.


Oh, and here are more Old Believers photos. By a different photographer.



No comments: