Tuesday, November 18, 2008

ninian hawick & the shebrews


Ninian Hawick's "Scottish Rite Temple Stomp" got lodged in my mind on the way into work this morning. Not sure how it found its way there because I haven't listened to it all that much throughout the last few years.

Maybe I played it during one of our recent dj nights?

However it happened, it did happen. And the song refused to escape throughout the day.

It was originally released in 1995 as a split 7" on the magical, golden midwestern pop label (how often in a lifetime do you get to say that) Grimsey.

The B side, "Leave All Your Old Loves" was, I think, the first Shebrews song released.

So what that means is both sides were composed and performed by Legendary Jim Ruiz Group collaborators. (Oh, how I love the musical incestuousness of the midwest!) In fact, Jim himself plays on the Shebrews track. But John Crozier is the main unifying link. He does guitar and piano on the Ninian Hawick side and guitar on the Shebrews side.

By sharing this song with you, I'm trying to limply expel Ninian Hawick from my brain...plus it gives me a chance to give it a few more spins.

Download: Ninian Hawick - Scottish Rite Temple Stop (.mp3)
Download: The Shebrews - Leave All Your Old Loves (.mp3)

No comments: