Sunday, November 9, 2008

Jim Jiminee


There's a record shop here called Flipville. I used to live within a block it (twice, in fact) and I go near it a lot when I eat at Comet Cafe.

Strangely, for the infinite chances I've had, I've only been in the shop twice. The first time was several years ago, with Ryan and Joan, I think. The second was today.

Before I went that first time, I'd only heard a rumor about how the owner usually snubbed out a joined as you walked in.

He didn't.

I was going through one of my record buying hiatuses then, so I didn't buy anything. There was some pretty exciting psych stuff, but I was appalled/intimidated by the prices. Joan was braver, but when she got up to the counter, the guy charged her less than the total on the price tags.

Needless to say, we were all confused.

Since then, I've talked to a lot of people who said that that's normal operating procedure for the store.

After brunch today, I suggested to Kevin that we should check it out. The place has gotten even more surreal and claustrophobic than it was that first time. The counter has been swallowed by a pile of toys, stereo equipment, and instruments (including a mighty handsome uke.) When we can in, the owner was talking to someone and the guy had to leave so we'd have enough room to walk through.

There was an old movie playing on a miniature screen, tucked away in a corner. The records were down three steps. They were more disorganized and towering than I'd remembered. The disarray was so severe that it was impossible to look at a lot of the records. Too much work.

Anyway, we spent a good hour searching. Kevin found an original pressing of the first Violent Femmes record. It was marked at $15. When he checked out, the owner charged him $10. Kevin paid and the owner pulled the change from his "register" - that being a wad of cash pulled from his breast pocket.

I found a copy of the Do it on Thursday 12" ep by Jim Jiminee. The sticker on it says $4. He charged me $3.

For you, it's free.

Here's the tracklist:

Side A
Do It on a Thursday
You Pulled a String in My Heart

Side B
Housewife
Best of Both Girls


Download: Jim Jiminee - Do It on a Thursday (.zip)

No comments: