Tuesday, September 16, 2008

shepherd

A shepherd with hay in his fur was staring at the bike trail transfixed and confused. I started whistling and walking toward him, but he bolted into the woods.

He wasn't wearing a collar. I was on my bike, 8 miles from home, without a leash, and only the tempeh sandwich I brought for lunch as bait. It was hopeless, obviously.

Still, every time I miss catching a dog (which is much more frequent than coaxing one toward me), I instantly regret it, even though I know if I did catch him, I'd have to take him to animal control and, if he wasn't claimed by his guardian or didn't get picked up by a rescue group like CARAC while under animal control's care, he'd be euthanized.

So in a way, it's not so bad to think of him wild and running, hay in his hair.

Still, it's just...the impending cold, the scarcity of food, a domesticated dog's questionable survival skills, etc.

Oh, somebody send a tourniquet for my poor, porous heart.

No comments: